Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

In alt.engineering.electrical Paul M. Eldridge wrote:
| On 21 Jun 2008 15:04:27 GMT, wrote:
|
||What about ophidian lights? I've always used the standard base ones for this.
||I suppose I could substitute a plant light or a small infrared.
||I was going to switch to low-voltage lamps for task lights, anyway, so I guess
||for the most part this doesn't really affect me.
||We need a law that taxes or just outright bans importation of cheap CFLs.
|| Hi Phil,
|| I'm not sure what wattage lamp you use, but if its light output
|| exceeds 2,600 lumens, it falls outside this legislation. For example,
|| a 150-watt Osram Sylvania A21 incandescent is rated at 2,780 lumens
|| (clear) and 2,640 lumens (soft white).
|
|So just run this on one of this half-wave rectifying dimmers to cut the
|power in half and you have a nice warm 40 watt light that uses 75 watts.
|
| Hi Phil,
|
| Alternatively, if you don't require that much light, you could simply
| opt for a halogen lamp of a lesser wattage; e.g., a 40-watt Halogen?
| ES provides the same amount of light as a conventional 60-watt
| incandescent and lasts up to four times longer.
|
| If you're still contemplating a low-voltage solution, Philip's IRC
| MR16 are some of the best available.
|
| See:

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...pdf/p-5758.pdf

5000 hours? Not all that good. Half will be burned out in 3 years of
regular use (about 5 hours a day).

I've been considering both MR16 (GU5.3 12v) and MR11 (what pin for 6v?)
for various lighting fixtures in the home I'll be building. I may opt
for the smaller ones so I can select the illumination level by turning
selected lights on and off rather than dimming. My original idea was
to go with 6 volt 12 watt lights if those are available in MR11 or some
other kind of halogen form factor.

What I don't like about these lights is the pitch of the facet in the
reflector. I would like the pitch to be about 10 to 20 times smaller.
A frosted glass would, of course, help, too.