Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default painting old trailer

stryped wrote:
On Jun 24, 2:55 pm, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
Bought an old trailer. What is the best way to paint it. I want it to
look nice and hold up but it does not have to be perfect. Thinking of
using implement paint at TSC.
One thing I was wondering, I have seen "sandblast kits" for pressure
washers. DO these work well and would it be good for what I am wanting
to do?

Implement paint will work. Make sure to add some hardener so it is more
UV stable and scratch resistant. Also DON'T use the red without
hardener. It will turn pink in a year or so without it.

The pressure washer add-ons don't work really well unless it's a
professional machine with very high output.
I would sandblast it. Then check EVERY weld for cracks and stress.
Replace the wiring if it is old. I run conduit down the sides and run
wire in that. Then use a good high zinc primer and then top coat it.
If you want extra tie downs or anything else add it before you blast off
the old paint.

--
Steve W.

How much hardener? How much does it cost to sandblas? I am trying to
do this on the cheap.

How much depends on a bunch of factors. They will have a chart on the
paint and the hardener that you follow.

Blasting depends on what you want to do. I do my own and haven't priced
blasting for a long time. You might want to buy one yourself, they are
really handy to have and they are not all that expensive.

--
Steve W.