Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19021 Ignoramus19021 is offline

Default Motor starter makes noise like a buzzer

On 2008-06-24, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:54:27 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

"Ignoramus19021" wrote in message
om...
I have not used my phase converter in a while. When I fired it up the
other day, the main Allen Bradley size 2 starter made a very loud
noise, like a old style 60 Hz door buzzer. Despite that, the converter
ran, but I decided to not use it and investigate.

This is a Size 2 starter starting a 10 HP motor.

So.

What would be the proper troubleshooting procedure here and what is
likely wrong? Any ideas?

FWIW, the size 3 contactors on my irrigation well routinely buzz. Not every
time, but often. i just got used to it.

I do not feel that it is a good thing.

Difference between a "buzz", and a real hard
BUZZZ/SLAM/HAMMER/BANG/SLAMAGAIN is easy to hear.

It is BUUUZZZZZZZZZZ

Like a cheap 60 Hz alarm.

The first, which it sounds/reads like to me you have, can be just some
accrued dust or similar in between the armature pieces, possible even
a low voltage condition.

But the louder and sometimes scary sound can be due to a loose or
broken lead or cracked StaKon terminal (common on AB stuff) or a bad
self-holding contact.

I will look again, try to blow out the crud with compressed air, I
suspect insects at this point as Pete C said.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/