Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19021 Ignoramus19021 is offline

Default Motor starter makes noise like a buzzer

On 2008-06-24, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus19021 wrote:

I have not used my phase converter in a while. When I fired it up the
other day, the main Allen Bradley size 2 starter made a very loud
noise, like a old style 60 Hz door buzzer. Despite that, the converter
ran, but I decided to not use it and investigate.

This is a Size 2 starter starting a 10 HP motor.

So.

What would be the proper troubleshooting procedure here and what is
likely wrong? Any ideas?

Spiders...

As in a spider or similar bug in the contactor keeping it from fully
seating so it buzzes, but still seating far enough so the contacts
close.

Ding dong, I think that we have the right answer. Thanks a lot. I will
try to see if I can blow it out with compressed air. I may put a
mothball there for the future if it does not stink up the garage too
much.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/