Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Inexpensive but worthwhile wirefeed?

"Ignoramus19021" wrote in message
OK, maybe I am missing something, but why a gate cannot be fixed with
a stick welder?

I fixed a scrap truck gate (rear door) with a stick welder and the
result was quite acceptable. Looked good (7018) and is still holding
up fine.

The other door was repaired with a cheap MIG welder (not by me) and
actually failed utterly and looked like a goat pooped on the weld
area.

It all has to do with thickness of metal, filler rod, metal condition,
metallurgy, and operator skill, just like any other welding.

I can weld light gauge tubing with 6011 stinger negative, although I get
people who say it's impossible in the book. In the book, maybe. On the
table, or in the field, it works.

As you know, sometimes the metal that's there is just cancerous, and one has
to make brackets, braces, and gizmos to strengthen it. Old farm welders can
fix just about anything because they are talented at making what they have
work.

Steve