Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default A/C condensate drain

sinister wrote:
I need to get my A/C condensate drain/line fixed. (This is in an
older home I just purchased.)

The problem the home inspector pointed out was that it drains into
the same pipe that the clothes washer does.

Also, the other day the A/C was running, and water was dripping over
the furnace from the line. One joint was leaking, and also the line
isn't sloped enough to allow for proper drainage.

I've got some questions:
(1) Is it true that this is work for an A/C guy, not a plumber? I
called a plumber, and he didn't want to do the work and said call an
A/C guy. I'm asking, because at least where I live, it seems like
many A/C guys are one- or two-person shops that are hard to get ahold
of (and might not even have an office).
(2) The plumber also said that the way the A/C condensate line/drain
should work is that it goes to the floor, and then some pump pumps it
out of the house through a line going through the basement wall. While I
can see that the current setup is dumb (condensate can't
really drip into pipe when the hose from the washer is in place), is
it true that someone can't just add another "branch" to the PVC pipe
the washer is draining into, and have the condensate drain go into
that? I guess maybe that's not such a hot idea, since maybe the
stuff coming out of the water is under some pressure, but the whole
business of drilling a hole through the basement wall sounds like a
lot of work.
TIA,

Try to see if you have a Handyman in your area. I would say that most of
them can do what ever you need. If you want to do yourself then call the
city inspector and ask them want you need to do. They will also come out to
your location to check the job to make sure it is up to code.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info