Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Can I Leave a GPS in a Hot/Cold Car

Al wrote in news:3kN7k.5952$JL.1587@trnddc05:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:07:42 +0200, Sjouke Burry wrote:

wrote:
We don't speak c (temps) in America.It is always F. cuhulin

So? Learn what the rest of the world/science uses. 0 C is thawing ice,
100 c is boiling water.

Water, and other liquids, boils at different temperatures depending upon
environmental pressure (like altitude). If you're being so precise, state
the conditions under which the water is boiling.

The melting point is characteristic of the material and is not dependent
upon environmental conditions.

That is incorrect. It would be better to say that 'the melting point of
common substances' are not effected by the small changes in pressure seen
in the everyday environment.

On the other hand, hydrogen only becomes a solid under pressures never seen
in our common environment but metallic hydrogen may be a common material
found on some giant planets.
Water, on the other hand, is one of the few substances that expands upon
freezing and melts when under pressure. If it didn't, ice skates would not
work.
The pressure of the skate blade raises the melting point of the water so
high that the blade 'floats' on a thin layer of water 'melted by the
pressure' from the ice.

So, one must be careful NOT to say that 'the melting point... is not
dependent upon environmental conditions'.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap