Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turning a bunch of small boxes. One quick and dirty method.

It's again time to make favors for Lori's Navy Waves & Nurses luncheon.
I decided on small boxes as I have several 2 1/4 X 5 1/2 in mahogany
cut offs from a cabinet shop. This is my way to turn a bunch of boxes
quickly. Nothing new to you old hands, but might be helpful for a
beginner and since rcw has only 95 posts this morning I can waste a
little bandwidth.

Dimensions are for the wood I have, use your own, but make the drilled
underfitting base opening about 3/8" smaller than the overfitting lid to
assure enough wood for a strong tenon.

1. Round a 5" X 2 1/4" sq. blank between centers (spur's MT in or thru
a scroll chuck) and turn a 1/8"tenon on the driven end.

2. Take off of centers and chuck the spindle's tenon.

3. On the lathe drill a smooth & straight hole in the end of the
spindle with full 1/4" walls about 1/4" deep for an overfitting lid. I
use a forstner bit. Open up and dome the lid cavity as desired, then
sand & polish.

4. Part off the lid at an appropriate length for desired shape.

5. Drill an entry hole about 1/4" deep into the base (that remained in
the chuck after parting the lid off) 3/8" smaller than the hole in the
lid.

6. Drill a 3/8 or so hole to within 1/4" of the base bottom, leaving
enough room between chuck and bottom to cut off slightly concave.

7. gouge or scrape the base's cavity to desired wall and bottom
thickness, leaving the drilled entry hole short but discrete. Sand and
polish the cavity.

8. Part the underfitting base tenon to a near fit, then carefully creep
up to a reasonably tight fitting lid.

9. Attach lid to base and turn the entire box to desired shape. Use
tail center if desired. If so, remove the center and detail the top of
the lid.

10. Remove lid and adjust fit and base opening size as desired.

11. Replace lid, sand smooth and polish/finish as desired.

12. Part off base leaving a slightly concave bottom.

13. Remove nub from bottom and sand smooth. No need to detail it. I sign
without shame, since there are no woodturners in Lori's group to
micro-criticise.

OK, what have I left out, added unnecessary steps or flat out done
wrong? Please suggest a faster, easier way before I turn 26 boxes.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter