Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] Bromley86@googlemail.com is offline

Default Tanalised timber - colour?

On 24 Jun, 08:40, "The Medway Handyman"
What colour should tanalised timber fence panels be straight from the
supplier? *They're the feather edged variety, not lap.

A neighbout had some installed and they're a faded orange. *I was
pretty sure that tanalised (Tanalith E) stuff is green, which seems to
be confirmed by the manufacturers:
http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/WOO..._DS_OCT_02.pdf

So I was a bit surprised when my tanaliased panels arrived and they're
that faded orange colour too. *Should they be green?

Just looked at the Wickes site. *They list Dipped Close Board Panels (F/E)
which they state are
"Pressure-treated to ensure durability" and are orange. *They also list
Premium Fence Panels (wany lap) and don't mention any kind of treatmant at
all. *They are also orange.

So I guess you can't tell by the colour.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Perfect! Thanks for that Dave - cold sweats abating.

Looking into it there is a colourant that may be added at some point
in the tanalising process called, you guessed it, tanatone. When you
read the descriptions of it it says brown, but I've just been
searching and a lot of the online pics look that faded orange colour I
was trying to describe. My stuff looks exactly like the closeboard
panels on the Conway Fencing website:
http://fatcollective.org/conwyfencing/products.html

So it's perfectly possible that that's what it is.