Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody somebody is offline

Default Tanalised timber - colour?

In message
,
" writes
On 24 Jun, 08:00, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * " writes:

What colour should tanalised timber fence panels be straight from the
supplier? *They're the feather edged variety, not lap.

A neighbout had some installed and they're a faded orange. *I was
pretty sure that tanalised (Tanalith E) stuff is green, which seems to
be confirmed by the manufacturers:
http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/WOO..._DS_OCT_02.pdf

So I was a bit surprised when my tanaliased panels arrived and they're
that faded orange colour too. *Should they be green?

IME (of my neighbour's fence), these blow to pieces in the wind
before they rot in the rain, so I'm not sure I would bother paying
extra for ones which don't rot so fast.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks, but that really shouldn't be a problem with a feather edge/
closeboard panel. Perhaps you're thinking of the orange lap panels
from the DIY stores? It's the similarily in colour between these and
those that's worrying me, as I assumed the store ones were just tank
dipped rather than pressure treated.

Not all treated timber is tanalised, I'm seeing more and more timber
treated with 'Protim' treatment. This gives no discernible colouring to
the timber. They supply a treatment certificate with the timber,
otherwise you wouldn't know it had been treated!

I think it's this stuff..

http://www.protimsolignum.com/

Hth
Someone