Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Building a Cistern

Pat wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
I decided to build a cistern so I can use the water from my sump pit on my
grass. the sump does not produce enough GPM so ill need the reservoir to
be able to run the pump without cycling continuously.

It will be 600 to 1000 gallons. Right now it will be 10' long 4' wide and
4' to 5' deep.

I planning to have 8" thick concrete base and the walls will be concrete
blocks. My question is, do I need rebar anywhere? and do the walls need
to be filled with cement? any rebar in the walls?

Its looking to be 5 blocks high and its going to be in the ground. Any
gotchas I should know about? Do I need to have any provisions for
drainage around the cistern footer?

Thanks,

Carl

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Why not use a septic tank. Fast and easy.

Well, not septic tank, pump chamber, pretty much the same thing, but
without a baffle you don't need. Available from the same precast places
and if you have the hole ready and in an accessible location their truck
can place it in the hole for you.