Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Tinning Flux vs. Standard Paste Flux

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:08:50 GMT, blueman wrote:

I noticed at Home Depot that they sell an Oatey branded "No. 95
Tinning Flux" that supposedly "pre-tins" the pips and prevents the
flux from burning out or the pipe from oxidizing ("turning
green"). They say it is especially good on larger pipes.

Has anybody had any epxerience using such tinning fluxes vs. a
standard flux like the Oatey #5 Past flux?

- Does it really work better on larger pipes?
- What about on smaller pipes?
- Any disadvantages (other than higher price) to using it all the
time?

I like it because it makes it easy to tell when the joint is up to
temp. As you heat the joint, when it gets hot enough, the flux will
"flash" silver as the fine solder particles in the flux melt. At that
point, I stop heating after 1 or 2 more seconds and apply the solder.
I've not had trouble with it burning or leaking using that technique.

I rarely work with anything bigger than 1" copper, so can't comment on
how it works with larger pipe. The price of the flux is so tiny
compared to pipe and fittings that I use it for everything.

HTH,

Paul F.