Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

wrote:

Right. Greed is good.

Greed is good only to the extent it motivates people to act within
the law. The law is good when it ensures that greed has no negative
impact on the society as a whole.

We don't punish motivations. Likewise, the law DOES punish those who, with
the best of intentions, have a "negative impact" on society. It is the
result of the motivation that counts.

Consider Albert Sabin as he hovered over the microscope looking for a polio
vaccine. The many thoughts running through his mind probably included many
emotions that people reject: GREED ("If I can whip this, I can do the kind
of research I want!), PRIDE ("People will shake my hand and say nice things
about me"), ENVY ("And I'm tired of Jonas Salk getting all the praise"), and
a whole lot more.

The result, of course, of these despicable emotions was that polio has been
eradicated in my lifetime.

A great worthy once said "If not for greed, no man would marry,
build a house, or father a child."

Lots of non-greedy people accomplish these things.

Right. The point being that "greed" is not the issue nor should it be
punished.