Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting Conservatory Blinds

stuart noble wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

I've just bought a comservatory and would like some blinds, just over
the windows (not the roof).

I had Hilary's round to quote, and the guy said they would fix them
to the upvc frame with 3mm self tapping screws.

I had a look online and found another website that did made to
measure self- fit ones, less than half the price of Hilary's. When
I phoned this company, the said that Hilary's were a bunch of
cowboys, and you should never fix blinds like that as the torque on
the upvc would be such that after a few months things would start to
work their way loose. Instead, you should
drill through the upvc and into the metal frame and fix them to
that.

So now I'm unsure about what to do. On the one hand, this guy could
have been indulging in competitor bashing to get some trade. On the
other hand, I know nothing about this, so I'm worried that he may
have a point...

Has anyone fittend their own blinds - is screwing them into the frame
acceptable? Is it an easy job (I'm ok but not great at diy).

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I'm with Hilary's on this one. I usually drill a 3mm pilot hole first
and use ordinary size 6 screws about 5 mm long. A single skin of upvc
is well able to support a blind

Thats what I've done in the past as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk