Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default getting a home ready for sale, how much repair

clipped

FIX EVERYTHING! 90% of buyers want a home in move in perfect
condition, they will change whatever later.....

the 90% dont want the hassles, expenses, of fixing stuff.

do everything in clean neutral colors, like white which makes rooms
look larger.

invest a few hundred bucks in a home inspection, and fix the laundry
list they will find.

this is better than their home inspoector scaring off the buyer.....

if you dont fix up the home 90% wouldnt be interested, depressing
price a LOT......

and adding a lot of time till its sold

been there done all this.........

I disagree, but have only sold one home. Mine had a small leak in the
roof and a bulging corner on the sheath under
it. Not very old home - less than 20 yr. All systems sound, tired
looking paint and carpet. Ready to live in. Took
a month to sell at a good price.

Personally, I'm very leery of an older home with a lot of recent work
because it makes me wonder what the
seller is trying to hide.

The damaged acoustic tile and the wallpaper should go. Given the
sellers work schedules and health issues,
I would try to replace the worst of the acoustic tiles. The whole
ceiling and the wood panelling would
probably be on the "replace list" for next buyer. Or they might just
rip it out.

From what I have read, new kitchens don't bring a great return. For
sure, remove the outdated wallpaper,
remove clutter, clean up the yard ..... trim shrubs, take care of bad
problems, mulch beds and make it look
neat. Be sure elect., plumbing, heating systems are in good shape.

Depending on the local market, a sound home in need of modernizing might
be perfect. With all the downturns
and job losses, someone might be thrilled to have a lower-cost home
without all modern features. I don't know
about the siding - pix might help.

When I sold my home, I kept bringing up issues with my realtor, who said
"Don't worry about it." She was right.

Also, with a set closing date for the new home, if this one does not
sell the seller may not want any added debt
from major projects like kitchen or bath remodel.