Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Cell Phone -- What remains wet?

In article , Lionel Sharp wrote:
propman wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:25:45 -0400, Dan Dubosky wrote:

Everything that I had around, distilled water and alcohol, had
measurable conductivity. I even measured some vodka. It too had
measurable conductivity, but after properly disposing of it, I didn't
care as much.

LOL!!

Hi Dan. The alcohol must be pure alcohol and not contain any water. Pure
alcohol is not easy to get. Years ago at my place of employment we hsd
some electronic equipment that had gone under water in a flood and what
got the water out was pure alcohol which I believe has a great affinity
for water.

Had to get a clearance from the Customs and Excise people before getting
a large bottle from a chemical supply company. The pure alcohol is very
volatile and should be used very carefully, no smoking

Lionel L Sharp

If you apply pure alcohol to something, here comes the water.

Water is best for disolving green stuff on terminals or traces. I have
seen other colored material some times.
My usual procedure for nasty equipment, water, alcohol, warm air blowing, sometimes
add WD-40 or CRC 2-26, more blowing and drying.

greg