Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Ridge vent or wind turbines?

On Jun 22, 2:30 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 22, 12:43�pm, ransley wrote:

On Jun 21, 1:36�pm, " wrote:

You say you need more venting, you only"need" more venting if mold is
growing in the attic. Gable vents move alot of air, a few static vent
near the top will be cheapest and release alot of heat.-

WRONG, venting isnt just to prevent mold its primarily to decrease
attic temperatures which add AC costs, and decrease roof life

That doesnt mean he needs it does it, large gables move 10x as much
air as vents.

theoritically theres never enough ventilation, esically in hot
areas.....

I am in FL. Last year I got a new roof. I previously had a tile roof
with gable vents at each end of the house. The new roof is
shingle...made by GAF - and it included a Cobra ridge vent. They
covered the vents at each end of the house - the small print on the
GAF literature recommends it. (I was glad to have it done because
some of my neighbors have had problems with citrus rats getting in the
attic and those vents were the only way in that we could see). I've
just compared my electric bill with my last year's bill - and we used
fewer kilowatts. So it hasn't made the attic that much hotter ... as
far as I know mold/mildew hasn't started growing. You'll hear about
it if it does.