Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Can I use a plastic loft-type cold water tank for my solar water heater?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:12:07 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:47:37 +0100, MM wrote:

I've made the first stage, i.e. the copper tube, about 3 metres of it in
a "snake" pattern. This will be mounted on a south-facing wall. Can I
feed the hot water (on thermo-syphon principle) into a black plastic
cold water tank as used in the loft? Or will this plastic release toxins
when containing hot water?

NB: The tank will be mounted initially on outside wall, above the copper
tube "snake".

Or maybe you have suggestions for alternative tank suitable for hot
water?

The cold water tank I'm looking at (on the B&Q web site) is the Titan
Wizard 25/15 Rectangular Water Tank KM15 Black.

MM

If you are going to build a solar assisted HW system use a plausible
design readily obtainable from C.A.T. and others.

This is not going to be anything other than a standalone solar water
heater. It will not be hooked into the house water system (apart from
a connector on the garden tap). It will be dismantled in the autumn
and only brought out again in the spring. The design I am following is
a hybrid of many on the internet. Simple, straightforward, built
largely of discarded stuff, thus dirt cheap. Many people would
probably be able to make one for free with the contents of their
rummage bin.

MM