Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Ridge vent or wind turbines?

Michael,

My house has no attic ventilation other that the 2 gable vents.
I know I need to add eave vents but would like ya'lls opinion on ridge
vents versus wind turbines.

I installed continuous ridge vents and continuous soffit vents on our
house. No moving parts to break or make noise, and no ugly vents or
turbines sticking up on the roof. On a sunny day, you can look at the ridge
of our house and see the hot air escaping from the ridge (shimmery look in
the air from the rising heat).

To work effectively, you must have an intake at the low part of the roof
for fresh air to come in (the eave/soffit vents), and the exhaust vent at
the top of the roof (ridge vent) for hot air to escape. Hot air rises, so
once the roof heats up, the air will flow naturally from intake to exhaust.

Also, the airflow must not be blocked by insulation in the attic. There
should be an inch or more of free space between the insulation and the
underside of the roof. In a traditional attic, the most likely area of
blockage is near the eaves over the walls. You can install baffles in each
rafter bay at that area to ensure the insulation doesn't block the air
flow.

I used the Owen's Corning ridge vents that you apply shingles over. We
haven't had any problems with them in the last 5-7 years.

Anthony