Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Clausing 220V Table Saw

On Jun 22, 4:27*am, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:32:13 -0500, James Waldby wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:56:30 -0700, Searcher7 wrote:
I have an opportunity to pick up a Clausing 220V 10-inch table saw for
$100.

Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to run one of these off a step-
up transformer?
Darren Harris
Srarten Island, New York.

Something likehttp://newyork.craigslist.org/que/tls/727715659.html?
The motor looks like maybe 3 HP, which would run at about 25A into the
120V side of a 120-to-240 transformer. *You won't find 25A 120V
circuits in ordinary residential circuit breaker boxes, and trying
to run it on a 15A or 20A circuit probably would be hopeless.

If your apartment has its own circuit breaker box with room for more
breakers, it's a simple matter to add a 20A 240V circuit. *(While the
craigslist ad says 220V, it might actually mean 240V. *But if not, and
if you are talking about stepping 240 down to 220, don't bother, just
run it on 240.) *I assume that in your "Srarten Island" NYC apartment
you are required to hire a licensed electrician to plug in a breaker,
but if not you can buy appropriate wires, breakers and plugs at Ace,
Lowe's, or any good electrical supplier.

This saw looks like a great buy but probably is quite loud!

* Might be a dual-voltage motor that can be connected for either 120V
or 240V, look at the spec plate and it will say.

* I wouldn't use a step-up transformer, you have to oversize it to
handle the motor start surge without failing, and install a very heavy
120V circuit to feed it. *Much simpler and cheaper to run new cable
back to the main panel and install a 240V outlet in your shop area.

* If you have an electric clothes dryer in the garage, you already
have a 30-Amp 240V circuit right there - you can get the matching cord
cap for the saw, unplug the dryer and plug in the saw to work. *And
plug the dryer back in to do laundry.

* * * -- Bruce --- Hide quoted text -

Ignoring Robert.

James, Al, Bruce, thanks a lot.