Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Can I use a plastic loft-type cold water tank for my solar water heater?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:18:11 +0100, Rod
wrote:

MM wrote:

So this must exclude plastic (i.e. non-metal) as a material, yes? I've
now stuck an advert in Freecycle for an old loft galvanised tank. (My
old one in Bucks would have been ideal.)

You might not need it to boil - but what are you doing to prevent it
boiling?

Add cold water.

Why are you persisting with trying to use a cold water tank?

I just need * a tank * ! I don't care what it's made from,or what its
original use may have been. All it needs to do is hold hot water at a
temperature of around hand-hot for a decent shower or for washing
dishes.

(I have
never seen a loft galvanised HOT water tank.) Galvanised tanks are
rather unusual these days - given that most new loft tanks are plastic.
So you are likely to be offered a heap of junk.

But I might be offered a perfectly usable one! My old tank in Bucks
wasn't leaking when I replaced it with a black plastic one. I only
replaced it because it *may* have started leaking (it was 47 years
old). So even if I get hold of a tank with a minor leak that I can
easily repair, the tank will be good for years at what I want to use
it for.

Having a hot open tank in your loft (or pretty much anywhere else) is a
bad idea as there will be lots and lots of water vapour leading to
condensation and consequent problems.

It's not going to be mounted inside the house. The tank will be
painted black and mounted outside, against the house wall, above the
collector. (This is only for summer use.)

The obvious thing to try would be a hot water cylinder.

Yes, I might put another advert in Freecycle.

MM