Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Can I use a plastic loft-type cold water tank for my solar waterheater?

MM wrote:

So this must exclude plastic (i.e. non-metal) as a material, yes? I've
now stuck an advert in Freecycle for an old loft galvanised tank. (My
old one in Bucks would have been ideal.)

You might not need it to boil - but what are you doing to prevent it
boiling?

Why are you persisting with trying to use a cold water tank? (I have
never seen a loft galvanised HOT water tank.) Galvanised tanks are
rather unusual these days - given that most new loft tanks are plastic.
So you are likely to be offered a heap of junk.

Having a hot open tank in your loft (or pretty much anywhere else) is a
bad idea as there will be lots and lots of water vapour leading to
condensation and consequent problems.

The obvious thing to try would be a hot water cylinder.

--
Rod

onset.