Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Clausing 220V Table Saw

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:32:13 -0500, James Waldby wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:56:30 -0700, Searcher7 wrote:

I have an opportunity to pick up a Clausing 220V 10-inch table saw for
$100.

Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to run one of these off a step-
up transformer?
Darren Harris
Srarten Island, New York.

Something like http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/tls/727715659.html ?
The motor looks like maybe 3 HP, which would run at about 25A into the
120V side of a 120-to-240 transformer. You won't find 25A 120V
circuits in ordinary residential circuit breaker boxes, and trying
to run it on a 15A or 20A circuit probably would be hopeless.

If your apartment has its own circuit breaker box with room for more
breakers, it's a simple matter to add a 20A 240V circuit. (While the
craigslist ad says 220V, it might actually mean 240V. But if not, and
if you are talking about stepping 240 down to 220, don't bother, just
run it on 240.) I assume that in your "Srarten Island" NYC apartment
you are required to hire a licensed electrician to plug in a breaker,
but if not you can buy appropriate wires, breakers and plugs at Ace,
Lowe's, or any good electrical supplier.

This saw looks like a great buy but probably is quite loud!

Might be a dual-voltage motor that can be connected for either 120V
or 240V, look at the spec plate and it will say.

I wouldn't use a step-up transformer, you have to oversize it to
handle the motor start surge without failing, and install a very heavy
120V circuit to feed it. Much simpler and cheaper to run new cable
back to the main panel and install a 240V outlet in your shop area.

If you have an electric clothes dryer in the garage, you already
have a 30-Amp 240V circuit right there - you can get the matching cord
cap for the saw, unplug the dryer and plug in the saw to work. And
plug the dryer back in to do laundry.

-- Bruce --