Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

In article , wrote:
In alt.engineering.electrical RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:

| You are missing the point. If I buy gas from a Shell station and Shell
| has decided to adulterate the fuel with a compound (ethanol) that saves
| Shell money and returns less BTU energy content to the consumer. Shell
| oil is receiving a direct benefit by immediate increased profit and
| later by selling more of the adulterated product so that consumers can
| continue on their crippled journey. I don't care what Shell paid for a
| barrel of oil on the market, that is not the point. It is a flagrant rip
| off, a criminal act that the Florida government is complicit with. If
| the public fails to realize this, they are very ignorant, and perhaps
| deserve what they get from their government and corporations who run the
| government.

So provide some proof that this addition of ethanol reduces the total energy
per dollar AND emits the same level of pollution per mile driven.

Pollution increase - maybe not, likely not - ethanol has been added to
decrease pollution.

Nitrogen oxide emissions tend to be decreased since dilution by ethanol
decreases the combustion temperature.

CO emissions are decreased when fuel is diluted (for leaner burn) in
cars not making heavy use of oxygen sensors to adjust fuel/air mix.

But energy/power from a gallon of fuel is much less with ethanol than
with undiluted gasoline.

Gasoline - from an old figure in the 1961 edition of the CRC Handbook -
20,750 BTU per pound, 6.152 pounds per gallon - multiplies out to 127,654
BTU/gallon.

Ethanol - 327.6 kcal/mole, 327.6 kcal per 46.07 grams, 1,300.029
BTU/46.07 grams, 1,300.029 BTU/58.368 ml, 22,273 BTU/liter, 84,311
BTU/gallon.

MTBE was another agent to "oxygenate" gasoline (I would say "dilute"
with "partially oxidized fuel").

| Imagine if you went the store to buy a pound of hamburger, but the
| butcher decides that to increase his bottom line, he will take away
| about 2 ounces of beef and substitutes two ounces of wet sawdust. Would
| you be "OK" with that? That is exactly what is happening here in Florida
| and elsewhere with the gasoline.

I can imagine a lot of things. I can imagine you are making all this up,
too. Show some proof.

I suspect ethanol addition to gasoline is largely nationwide.

I don't mind biofuels - but the current big Federal program is for
specifically ethanol specifically from USA-grown corn. I think that we
need to lose the restrictions to ethanol from plant species favored by
lobbyists!

I have been hearing good things about ethanol from switchgrass! Also,
biofuel is not limited to ethanol despite what is said by lobbyists from
the cornbelt and especially the ones for Archer Daniels Midland!

- Don Klipstein )