Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default Can I Leave a GPS in a Hot/Cold Car

I use my GPS in a large SUV. I have it mounted on the top of the dash.
The front windscreen is very large, and there is no obstruction for
proper viewing. When I am parked I put a fishing hat on top of it to
look like I threw my fishing hat on top of the dash. I've had GPS's in
my vehicles ever since GPS's for became publicly available.

As for leaving it in the car, as long as it is covered from sunlight on
warm or hot days it should be okay. The radio, system computers, and all
the other electronics in the cars and trucks survive for many years
inside of the vehicle environment. Most electronic equipment can take up
to at least or a little more than 60 deg C or 140 deg F for storage. I
would not recommend operating most consumer electronic equipment in
temperatures exceeding 40 deg C or 104 deg F.

--

JANA
_____

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
High or low temperatures will cause the LCD to (respectively) darken or
become extremely sluggish. Very high temperatures might cause the LCD to
lose its Purity Of Essence altogether.

I wouldn't leave any electronic equipment in a car I expected would get
hotter than 100 degrees or so.