Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default laying a concrete floor: hardcore made of old bricks - do Ireally need to break them down?

wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:03 pm, wrote:

I'm planning to convert a suspended ground floor of a terrace house
into a concrete floor.
As I have plenty of old victorian bricks at disposal, I'm thinking of
using them for the hardcore.
I'm aware the normal procedure is to break them into smaller pieces
(or better still use gravel).
My questions are very simple:

1) Are old bricks suitable for hardcore?
2) As the ground under the suspended floor is quite even and
compacted, would it be ok to use whole bricks for the hardcore?

Also, at present, there is a DPM over the ground (it was laid as an
attempt to reduce moisture in the crawlspace)....shall I leave it
there and lay the bricks on top if it?

Any suggestion appreciated.

This approach sometimes causes problems that are hard to undo. Ask the
people that study this stuff:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/index.php

NT

yawn. More spam from the period property fundi.