Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

Default Ridge vent or wind turbines?

Michael wrote:

Hello,
My house has not attic ventilation other that the 2 gable vents.

I know I need to add eave vents but would like ya'lls opinion on ridge vents
versus wind turbines.

I have heard the pros and con from friends and family about ridge vents and
wind turbines.
ie, if it is storming badly, ridge vents can let water in.
wind turbines don't last, noisy, etc .....
etc ....

I live in Arlington, Texas. If this make a difference.

I think ridge vents were invented in Texas. Ridge vents move more air
than turbines, provided they have side fins, like the one at the upper
right on this page:

http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...dgeVents.shtml

Notice the diagram shows air being pulled out from the attic,
regardless of the wind direction. The side fins also keep out rain.
You'll want any gable vents blocked off, to prevent short-circuiting
of the air flow, and soffit vents installed (soffit vents are highly
desirable regardless of the type of ventilation used).