Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains?

On 06/21/08 04:23 pm RBM wrote:

I have lived both in Australia and in Taiwan. In both countries, bathroom
floors had drains to avoid serious flooding in the case of overflows. The
bathroom floor drain in Australia even dealt with the problem of blockage
of the regular drains/sewers: the floor drain went straight out through the
wall above the ceiling of the lower story and had an angled flap to prevent
drafts but allowed the water to escape.

Why have I never encountered such in US bathrooms?

Americans do plumbing to a much higher standard, making such things
unnecessary

I think the authors of the two preceding responses (and perhaps their
insurance companies too) would disagree with you.

Perce