Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Buying USED tools

MiamiCuse wrote:
In general, would you consider buying used power tools if the usage
is for one project and after that would be rare and occasional use?

By means of used tools I mean something that is previously used and
"look" beat up like those people sell on ebay. I don't mean original
manufacturer reconditioned tools.

What are some pros and cons? To me if it's cordless I am worried
about the battery.

And if you would consider it, what would a reasonable price point be?
I have seen a new tool with free shipping on Amazon for $150.00 and
someone is offering an equivalent tool that is all beat up with no
battery no case no manual and it went to $79 with $30 shipping seems
totally out of line to me.

Of course experience is going to vary.

I just bought an ancient (~1986) riding lawnmower (Snapper) from a
Craigslist seller for $150.00. My son and I had an enjoyable time cleaning
it up and repainting it. We spent an additional $20 for a new battery.

Son-of-a-bitch is a TANK! It goes "Chugga-chugga," works like a charm, and
doesn't burn much wood at all.