Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridge vent or wind turbines?

On 6/21/2008 7:45 AM Joe spake thus:

On Jun 20, 2:07 pm, "Michael" wrote:

My house has not attic ventilation other that the 2 gable vents.

I know I need to add eave vents but would like ya'lls opinion on
ridge vents versus wind turbines.

I have heard the pros and con from friends and family about ridge
vents and wind turbines. ie, if it is storming badly, ridge vents
can let water in. wind turbines don't last, noisy, etc .....
etc ....

snip

Turbines are a feel-good thing like hanging strings on vent openings
so you can see if air movement is occurring. They move slightly less
air than an equivalent size open hole in the roof (think Laws of
Physics). Some folks like the industrial look, so if that's your
preference, go for it. Soffit vents and ridge vents are the modern
way to evacuate hot air, and you can't have one without the other.

Sorry, but I gotta dispute your assertion there (that turbines move
"slightly less air than an equivalent size open hole in the roof").
Where do you get that? Just from personal experience (having had a roof
turbine in my last place) I can say that they move quite a bit *more*
air than a hole in the roof (but, of course, only when the wind is blowing).

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill