Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:09:35 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:45:49 on Sat, 21
Jun 2008, tims next home remarked:

Where they lead places like the UK is by giving you scanned copies of
all your cheques with your monthly statement.

You can ask your UK bank for this service.

I haven't come across one, although many people report being able to get
their old cheques back.

They will deduct a fee for it.

(and in case you think it is free in the US, in the US you have to pay
for your blank cheques, oops checks)

Yes, the checks cost money, but the scanning was in effect free. They
reduced them and printed about 12-up on the back of the statement pages.

Some people used "carbon copy" check-books in order to keep a copy
(rather than just having a counterfoil). I expect those cost more.

Cheques _are_ a rather old-fashioned way of moving money about, even
though as I said earlier I do still occasionally use them to pay
smallish traders medium amounts of dosh.
At one time, apparently, it was practice to attach a stamp (an
ordinary postage one?) to a cheque to pay some sort of duty (obviously
when the PO was a government department)..
The same, I think, applied to marriage certificates.

Long before my time though - I'm 60 in half an hour or so... :-(((

--
Frank Erskine