Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
Brian L Johnson Brian L Johnson is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

Roland Perry wrote:

In message op.uc3y5tjn0v1caa@thedell, at 18:06:55 on Sat, 21 Jun 2008,
Brian L Johnson remarked:
My lunchtime activities were restricted to The Printing Club.

We had a printing club too, and I was member. We used to print school
magazines, programmes for concerts, and lots of posters. Everything set
in lead (or wood for the bigger stuff).

Oh, the old grey cells are fading... what was the name of that press? The
little hand ones were usually made by Elana or someone, but the big
treadle-powered ones (we didn't have the electric motor attachment) were
called... sigh No. It's gone.

But I vividly remember pedalling like crazy in attempt to get the tickets
done before the end of lunch break for some function or other and those
gigantic jaws whipping back and forth and me reaching in, snatching a
newly printed card out -- not smudging it!! -- while matey by your side
slapped another into place and the jaws closed again and on and on and
on...

Oh, and there was a lock lever like the handbrake on a Chipmunk which you
could use to snap the press open by an inch or so if someone didn't quite
get their hand out in time.

Well... it kept me out of the rain on wet lunchtimes.

--
-blj-