Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Ridge vent or wind turbines?

On Jun 20, 2:07*pm, "Michael" wrote:
Hello,
My house has not attic ventilation other that the 2 gable vents.

I know I need to add eave vents but would like ya'lls opinion on ridge vents
versus wind turbines.

I have heard the pros and con from friends and family about ridge vents and
wind turbines.
ie, if it is storming badly, ridge vents can let water in.
wind turbines don't last, noisy, etc .....
etc ....

snip

Turbines are a feel-good thing like hanging strings on vent openings
so you can see if air movement is occurring. They move slightly less
air than an equivalent size open hole in the roof (think Laws of
Physics). Some folks like the industrial look, so if that's your
preference, go for it. Soffit vents and ridge vents are the modern way
to evacuate hot air, and you can't have one without the other.
Manufacturers of the products have guide lines for soffit openings
required for ridge vent effectiveness. HTH

Joe