Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-21 15:24:37 +0100, Eleanor Blair said:

Andy Hall wrote:

But this is pointless. They should just go into the general rubbish
along with all the other bottles, tins and plastic.

So you don't believe in recycling at all?

Where it makes sense, yes. However, this is a very long way from what
we are told makes sense and happens to coincide with the obligations
that were signed up for with the EU.

However, the local authorities are paid a great deal of money to
collect the rubbish and that's what they should do. If they would
like me to do some of the work, there should be a price discussion.

What should councils do with
all the landfill?

That is their issue. They are being paid to deal with it.

I don't, but I don't mind, the recipient gave me an address where
someone is in all day anyway, and it is not an urgent item (if it was
I'd have paid more for an appropriate delivery service).

That's different in that it is not comparing like for like.

In other words you're saying it's not possible to get the service I
bought other than from the Post Office, because other services add more
perks which I don't want or need and are correspondingly more expensive.

If you don't want the level of service then that's a different matter.
I wouldn't regard having something collected, knowing when it will be
or has been delivered, and redress if there is a screw up as a perk; I
would regard it as essential.

I don't see an issue there one way or another

I'm just confused why it's OK to wait in two hours for shopping but not
to spend an hour going to get it. If I spend that time doing something
else I am inevitably interrupted during whatever I'm doing. But somehow
this is OK when you're waiting for shopping and not OK when you're
waiting for a parcel.

This is consistent. If I arrange for deliveries in a certain time
window, I can plan my other activities before and after it. I can
plan my activities during the time window such that the very short time
to go to the door, check the delivery (accepting or rejecting it) and
signing for it has negligible effect on the other things that I am
doing. I avoid delivery time windows when there are things that can't
be interrupted such as phone and web conference calls.