Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default OT; Regular visitor to USA?

On 2008-06-21 15:07:00 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-06-21 14:46:46 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I'd like to get a copy of Home Depots Deck Designer Software
http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...= &CACHE_ID=0

It

won't

let

me buy it cos I'm not in the USA!

Any regular visitors to the USA here who could pick up a copy for
me? Payment in cash of course.

How quickly do you need it?

.. and do you need that specific one? There are others around. Do you
want this as a quick way to put together designs to show to the
punters, or for working out materials for a given layout or...?

I'm basically attracted to anything that tells me something I didn't know.
The ability to do drawings for customers would be good, I've never found a
CAD program I could actually understand how to use. Materials are less
important, Excel is my friend :-)

Which others are about then?

There's a few low cost (= ~ $70) discussed here.

http://www.home-improvement-and-fina...-software.html

and here

http://landscaping-software-review.toptenreviews.com

I've played with a couple of them in the past (one of the Imsi ones and
one of the Punch ones) and they are reasonably OK. Punch has a
variety of products and you can put the deck into context in the garden
if you want. Also, their products are downloadable if you want.

There are two things to watch with U.S. landscape type products:

- The plants are often of types not used here because of different climate

- Materials dimensions are not the same