Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Wood expansion

I just finished a wood fence, using all pressure treated lumber. The gate
is a double gate, five feet wide each side. There is a gap of about 1 inch
between the two gates when closed. However it rained in the last few days
in Miami, and I noticed the gates have expanded, so much so the two doors
are not sort of fused together making it hard to open the gate. When it
dries it wil shrink and back to original size.

I had no idea it could expand this much.

I would like to avoid taking it apart and widening the gap, as that means I
need to redo the drop rod concrete block, as well as the latches etc...

When it becomes dry is there something I can spray of paint on the gate to
make it not expand so much?

Thanks in advance,

MC