Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:30:58 -0400, David Starr
wrote:

Hi David:

Seen any CFL's that'll work outdoors in the winter? I need a few for my yard
lights.

These ones are rated to work down to -10F/-23C:

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...pdf/p-5095.pdf

Got any that'll work on 3V DC? Need some for my flashlights.
Will CFL's work in cars? Lots of incandescents there.

As I've indicated here several times before, the provisions related to
incandescent lamps within the "Energy Independence and Security Act of
2007 (HR6)" are limited to "general service" only -- in other words,
your standard A19 household lamp. The Act defines "general service"
as:

1) having a medium (E27) screw-base;
2) a light output of between 310 and 2600 lumens;
3) an operating voltage of between 110 and130V; and
4) a standard or "modified" light spectrum (e.g.., GE's "Reveal").

Within this group, incandescent lamps that are specifically
**EXCLUDED** include the following:

appliance
black light
bug
coloured
infrared
left-hand thread (used where lamps may be stolen)
marine/marine signal
mine service
plant light
reflector
rough service / shatter-resistant / vibration service
sign
silver bowl
showcase
3-way
traffic signal
G & T shape
AB, BA, CA, F, G16-1/2, G-25, G30, S and M-14

Cheers,
Paul