Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default fluorescent tube differences was Constitutionality of light bulbban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a brokenbulb

James Sweet wrote:

Here in Arizona's mild winters even regular fluorescents tubes flicker
in my garage.

...Jim Thompson

They're probably those crappy 34W energy saver tubes with magnetic
ballasts that usually don't drive them harder than about 25W. Those were
a hack from the 70s energy crisis and hardly work in a drafty room
indoors. Try some electronic ballasts driving T8 tubes, they work fine
in the near freezing temperatures in my unheated garage in the dead of
winter. As an added bonus they're 32W and brighter than most of the old
40W tubes and the high frequency operation pretty well eliminates
strobing with rotating machinery.

Can someone please explain what T8, T12, etc. are and what are the
differences? I have plenty of old T12 40W tubes, fixtures, ballasts,
etc. I've had several people recommend updating the ballasts and tubes
but are the keystones the same? Length of tubes?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel