Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - EnvironmentalProtection Agency must be called for a broken bulb

Well in all fairness...

Seen any CFL's that'll work outdoors in the winter? I need a few for my yard
lights.

Yes, plenty of enclosed CFLs work outside in the winter. If you live in
an area of extreme cold, there's always HID. A 39W metal halide lamp
produces much more light than a 150W incandescent, and lasts 6-10 times
as long. I use exclusively CFLs in all my outdoor fixtures, it only gets
down to about 15F at the lowest here, so the plain exposed spiral type
work fine. Since these are on from dusk till dawn, the savings are
substantial and I get 2+ years out of a bulb. Even the vilified mercury
vapor lamp so common in yard lights and street lighting of the past is
more than twice as efficient as incandescent.

Got any that'll work on 3V DC? Need some for my flashlights.

Yes, I do, but what's wrong with LEDs? They're perfect for flashlights.
You can pick up a 3W white LED Maglight for $22 at Home Depot, they've
really come down in price, work better, and the batteries last longer. I
do have a fluorescent flashlight, it uses a small cold cathode tube, as
well as I have a camping lantern with a conventional 9W CFL tube in it