Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Name that tool!

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:52:27 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

English wheel. I'm guessing it was used to deal with repairs on those
sweeping fenders popular on the 20's and 30's vintage cars.

You guys are good!
It is intended for on-car repairs. I bought it at a local junk shop for $20,
when i took it to the restoration shop where i worked the body guys really
wanted to buy it from me. Too bad, I never sell a tool I have less than a
few of.
I'm going to clamp it in the vice and use it to make a motorcycle fairing.

Send them over to Harbor Freight. Their latest flier has a
small bench top model now that is made to be clamped in a
vise. See:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=97359

$129.99 thru July 7
===
Benchtop English Wheel

-Compact and easy to store€”clamp onto vise
when needed, place on a shelf when done!
-15-3/4" throat depth
-Comes with a 6" top die and seven anvils:
flat, 1/2", 1", 1-1/2", 2-1/2", 5", and 9"
-Powder-coated steel frame won't rust
-Adjustable yoke
-Fully shielded radial bearings
-Handy storage rack for anvils

Weight: 25.5 lbs.

Frame dimensions: 23-1/4" L x 1" W x 19-1/2" H; Overall
height (with anvils): 21-3/4"; Anvil die sizes: 2" diameter
x 1" W;

ITEM 97359
===

I wonder when we will get cheap English wheels in the UK at the likes of
MachineMart which would be the equivalent to HF. I made my own years ago
but it's much larger and not readily portable like that little thing.
Maybe it should have been thrown back and allowed to grow up into a full
sized English wheel.