Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
:Jerry: :Jerry: is offline

Default Colour Temperature (was CFLs and UHF interference)

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
In ,
:Jerry: typed, for some strange,
unexplained
reason:
: "Mortimer" wrote in message
: et...
: snip
:
: I'm always wary about parking with the car in gear except on a
steep
: hill when I always choose first if I'm parked uphill and reverse
if
: I'm parked downhill, because more than once when someone else
has
: driven my car and left it in gear I've operated the starter
without
: checking that the car is in neutral and the car has lurched
: forwards - hence the use of a gear that will always try to take
the
: car uphill rather than downhill.
:
: First rule taught to all in the motor trade, ALWAYS depress the
clutch
: (or put the left foot on the brake if the vehicle is an automatic)
: BEFORE operating the starter, a sloppy / mal-adjusted gear leaver
can
: give the 'appearance' of being in neutral (or park) but not
actually
: being so.
:
: I've seen cars get driven off workshop ramps when someone has
: forgotten such a basic safety procedure, not a problem when the
ramp
: is down, something altogether different when it's 6ft up in the
air...
: :~o

It's not difficult to incorporate a link between the gear selector
and the

Most cars fitted with auto transmission are fitted with an electrical
interlocking switch that prevents operation of the starter unless the
gearbox linkage (at the box) is in either park or neutral.

starter such that the latter cannot be operated if the transmission
is not
in neutral. All the buses I've ever driven have such a system. So
does my
motorcycle.

The issues here is that anything can develop a fault and as most
vehicle get booked into a repair workshop due to being in some way
faulty and as the person moving the vehicle might not be aware of the
fault....