Posted to alt.home.repair

Default home inspection items

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am purchasing a brick rancher house built in 1967 and had a home
inspection done yesterday. Some of the major items found we

1) A crack in the exterior brick siding from the top corner of a window
towards the roof. The crack is rotational in nature and turns
counter-clockwise as it gets higher. The inspector crawled under the
house and inspected the support structure of the wall and stated it is
not related to the foundation but will need the attention of a brick
mason. There are also other minor cracks or in reality mortar
separations on a few other areas of the exterior walls.

Get some estimates and sugestions from qualified people on the best way to
proceed with the brick repairs.

2) Washer/dryer hookups are located in the attached garage. There is
no dryer duct to the outside and really no easy way to run one to an
outside wall considering the house has brick veneer. I am unsure
whether this is a major issue.

It is not that difficult to blow a hole in a wall.

3) The house was originally built with an oil burning furnace and has
an underground tank. It now uses natural gas and the furnace/AC are
around 3 years old. The inspector suggests ensuring the underground
tank has been pumped dry.

In NJ you need to have the tank removed.

4) The roof shingles are cracked, torn, improperly spaced, nail pops
and cut crookedly along the roof edges. The boots around the vents are
torn and/or dry-rotted. It is at least 15 years old. There are two
roof fans installed.

Talk to a couple of roofers.

There are various other minor items found that I can deal with myself
and don't want to overwhelm the seller.

I am interested in suggestions on how to approach these issues and what
to look out for.

The more contractors that you talk to and get prices from, the better
informed you will be. Watch out for really low prices and really high
prices. Do your homework on materials and techniques.