Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Mandatory Headlights (was Colour Temperature (was CFLsand UHF interference) )

Adrian wrote:
Andy Hall gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Another exmaple very close to me. Major hill out of town. Became
largely 30 mph and rigorously enforced often by mobile speed traps.
Result - huge queues and very slow moving traffic. Change to 40 (yes -
it is very rare to hear of an increase these days) and traffic improves
considerably. Again, I strongly suspect that the 30mph limit, enforced,
actually caused more fuel usage/emissions than the current 40 mph.

I know it well. Actually there are two of them in a way, but the one
on the Marlow side is the one I presume you mean, and it does seem to
have improved. Possibly this is because there is less bunching of
cars.

Wycombe? Oh, yes, indeed...

Don't worry - just got back from an interesting trip - unfortunately
what you gain on Marlow hill (correctly identified folks - 5 points
apiece) you lose on Oxford Road/West Wycombe Road/Archway/London
Road/etc. :-(

For many years it has been my contention that roads *out* of town should
be as free flowing and uninterrupted as possible. Split speed limits.
Near-permanent green lights. Anything to get the people out of town asap
and with the least impact. This is possibly of particular benefit in a
town with steep hills on many outward routes.

--
Rod

onset.