Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Small engine experience

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:30:16 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

My Tecumseh on my log splitter has the exact same issue. I thinks it varnish
and crap in the carb. I richen it up by adjusting jets after its sat for a
year. Then, after a few tanks of hard running, I lean it back out. Running
the machine clear dry of fuel at shutdown seems to help. I've also used carb
cleaner on it many times. Both in the fuel and down the throat.

My guess is you ran it extra hard with that bind up and burnt the cobs out.

Karl

The only Tecumseh I have (8HP) is on my '85 snow blower. I have had to
take the bowl off the carb. on occasion and wipe moisture out of it.
Now I add de-icer to every can of gas and run the engine every week,
snow or no, during the season. In the spring, I run it dry, change the
oil, put a couple squirts of oil in the cylinder and park it under
cover. Come fall, I put in fresh gas and it starts on the second pull.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada