Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Difference between primer & regular paint?

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

This is a serious question, not a troll or a trick, as I really don't
know the answer to this: what's the difference between primer and
"regular" paint?

First of all, some ground rules: I'm hoping to get answers from
someone who actually knows what they're talking about (any paint
chemists out there? or at least someone familiar with the inside of
the paint industry), rather than the usual speculation. Therefore, any
answers from "hallerb" or "ransley" will be politely ignored.

How bout a reply from E.F. Hutton. Will that carry any weight?

If someone forced me to explain the difference, my answer would be
something like, "Well, duuuh, I think primer has more solids or
something; or it's made to stick better. Yeah, that's the ticket--it's
stickier!" Obviously, no definitive understanding of really what
primer is and why we're 'spozed to use it.

Yea man. Iz got sum sticky sheeeit in it that hole up onto other ****
real good. Iz like...iz like...iz like, well, iz like that sticky ****
ons the backs of dat metal tape weez hole broken **** together wit.

Extra credit for answers to the following:

o Actual differences between oil-based primer (which I intuitively
consider to be better without really understanding why) and
water-based (latex, acrylic, etc.) primer.

One cleans up with water and the other thinner. Not sure which is which
though.

o Are there any paints made today which can be considered
"self-priming"

Yes, they are usually supplied to a buddy with a drinking problem along
with a case of beer and a bottle of Jack.

and which do not require primer?

The assumption is that we're talking about painting wood products
here, not speciality paints like for metal or other materials.

Your explanation of this matter, which is kind of like the eternal
debate over WD-40 (what it is and isn't and why it's no good for
anything) will be greatly appreciated.

Your welcome!