Posted to alt.home.repair
Roemax Roemax is offline

Default Difference between primer & regular paint?

Its the way you asked that's important here
STFU if you are getting an attitude
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 6/19/2008 2:45 PM George spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
This is a serious question, not a troll or a trick, as I really don't
know the answer to this: what's the difference between primer and
"regular" paint?

First of all, some ground rules: I'm hoping to get answers from someone
who actually knows what they're talking about (any paint chemists out
there? or at least someone familiar with the inside of the paint
industry), rather than the usual speculation. Therefore, any answers
from "hallerb" or "ransley" will be politely ignored.

If someone forced me to explain the difference, my answer would be
something like, "Well, duuuh, I think primer has more solids or
something; or it's made to stick better. Yeah, that's the ticket--it's
stickier!" Obviously, no definitive understanding of really what primer
is and why we're 'spozed to use it.

Awfully demanding for someone who wants free information. For the degree
of details and explanations you require I would suggest hiring a
professional engineer who specializes in chemistry to give you
professional advice.

So you don't think this would be useful information, especially here where
many folks use paint and primer but don't necessarily know *why*?

I guess according to people like you, we should either 1) pay a
professional to get information, 2) use Google, or 3) just STFU, eh? No
need for Usenet in that case ...