Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Cell Phone -- What remains wet?

In article , "Dan Dubosky" wrote:
I am attempting to rescue my LG cell phone which spent about 15 minutes in
about six feet of water in a fresh water lake. I took it apart, dried
everything out, and everything now works except the battery discharges much
more rapidly even when the cell phone is OFF. This is not the same battery
that was in the lake. Could it be the circuit board itself that is still
wet, and if so, will it ever dry out?

I spent a combined effort of several hours first trying to dry the phone. I did that successfully
before, not this time. Although dring it under a lamp and also using a desicant improved it greatly.
I finally had the phone apart several times carefully cleaning, scraping, and also using some
Bullfrog contact cleaner. After a week the phone seemed to go into a mode and say the battery
was low, but would sometimes come back without shutting down. After a longer period the owner
now reports its OK. ??

greg