Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Mandatory Headlights (was Colour Temperature (was CFLs and UHF interference) )

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:11:36 +0100 someone who may be Andy Champ
wrote this:-

Headlights are at most 100W; tail-lights typically 7W. That's 214W for
the whole system. Even allowing for generator losses you are looking at
well under 500W to drive them, from a car that probably produces 100kW.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/drls/daytimerunninglampsexecutive1702

The EU think a 0.5 to 1.5% increase in fuel consumption/emissions.
The road research laboratory think these should be multiplied by
0.55 to allow for the 45% of trips at night.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh