Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.legal
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Prospects of selling a house next door to a "reformed" spree killer?

thedarkonelives wrote

I was thinking of recourse against the realtor and/or seller for not
disclosing the information.

Laws may not *allow* the relator to disclose such even if they are aware of
it. The home owner may or may not be required to disclose such, rather area
dependant on disclosure laws.

In my area for example, folks selling are advised to 'not disclose' as you
can't be sued later for anything that comes up. If you do 'disclose' you
can be sued even years later for just about anything even if you can prove
you did NOT know about it (obviously hard to prove such, and wont save you
here).

'Technically' my house was bought 'non-disclosed' but folks have a way here
of working out basic stuff 'off the record'. Seller for example quietly
warned us that with a house built in 1963, it was largely code-spec to 1963
and that future work, depending on what it was, would sometimes entail
additional costs. He was real careful to explain the back room was codespec
only to 'enclosed porch' for example and now we understand why ;-). Reality
is at the time it was a rental bedroom for a roomate, bed and all. It's a
'legal thing' to call my home a 3BR 1.5 bath, vice a 4 BR 1.5 bath. Had he
tried to market it as a 4 BR officially, he would have been required to pay
to bring that encloser to codespec of the time for a BR.