Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tmurf.1@juno.com is offline

Default Crawl Space Vent Covers Bad Idea?

On Jun 17, 10:02*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 17, 8:37 pm, Albert wrote:

I was looking on the Internet for some Window Wells to prevent dirt
from piling up near my crawl space vents. Then I see something like
this on the Internet suggesting that the thinking is now to seal the
vents to save on energy and keep out moisture?

http://www.basementsystems.com/crawl...oducts/crawlsp...

What is recommended, to seal the crawl space vents or leave them open
for air flow?

Ventilation is very important. *It is much better to properly insulate
the floor joists in the crawl space than to seal off the vents. *That
is what they are there for.

Curious, did you read the web page posted? *What are you basing your
statements on?

It states:
If Crawl Space Ventilation Doesn't Work, What's the Solution?
* * * There is an informative article by Advanced Energy, a national
resource who focuses on applied building science, on venting crawl spaces
entitled, "To Vent or Not to Vent." [Download PDF]
Crawl space encapsulation is the solution! Seal the crawl space with a vapor
barrier, sealer the crawl space vents with vent covers, seal any gaps or
holes to the outside, seal the crawl space door - seal it up as tight as
possible.

Do you think it is possible that the thinking has changed and engineering is
proving the ventilation method is wrong?

This poster Albert was only interested in keeping dirt out of his vent
space. I think he was concerned about outside dirt or maybe mulch and
such. He expressed no worries about moisture or a need for
waterproofing or encapsulation. So I told him what I think about
ventilation. To simply seal the vent is probably wrong just because
the company says it is only a part of a whole system. If it ain't
broke don't fix it.